Friday, August 19, 2011

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)

Work has began on a new side project. I finally decided to participate in submissions at Studio 659, located in Whiting, Indiana. At this small gallery, one of my dearest friends, Karissa Herbst, shows her work quite regularly.

With this theme, I really couldn't resist. The call for art asks specifically for art that glorifies the Mexican Day of the Dead holiday. A little from Wikipedia:

Day of the Dead (Spanish: Día de los Muertos) is a Mexican holiday. The holiday focuses on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It is particularly celebrated in Mexico, where it attains the quality of a National Holiday. The celebration takes place on November 1st and 2nd, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints' Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day (November 2). Traditions connected with the holiday include building private altars honoring the deceased using sugar skulls, marigolds, and the favorite foods and beverages of the departed and visiting graves with these as gifts.

I instantly pictured a very large scale elaborately decorated skull.  I have began scanning in interesting textures and objects. The construction has begun and I am planning on using dried flowers that I have kept from funerals. The process should be very tedious and therapeutic for me since I love PhotoShop and I am building the whole image piece by piece. Here is a sneak peek...

After round 1...



I would love a  40x40 printed version of this one. I will be posting progress....there is so much to be done! I bid you adieu, now back to PhotoShop! 

1 comment: